Wednesday, July 05, 2006

Gimme the truth, even if it hurts me

I caught a couple movies this weekend. Superman Returns? I thought it was excellent. Brandon Routh was spot on. The special effects were phenomenal. The airliner scene alone is worth the price of admission. They laid out hundreds of millions on this one and it shows on the screen. I give it an enthusiastic recommendation as one of the better, but certainly not the best, of the recent crop of comics inspired movies. Oh, and it has Parker Posey in it, so how bad can it be? Don't answer that.The movie that I not only recommend, but that I NEED you to see is An Inconvenient Truth. This is a riveting documentary and if you're at all like me, you think you have a handle on global warming, but you probably don't. You NEED to see this film, guys. Is that sounding condescending or preachy? If so, I apologize in advance, but this is way more CRISIS LEVEL and IMMINENT than I had imagined. It's not just Al Gore saying so. It's basically every scientist knowledgable in this field saying so. The only people denying it are people whose salary depends on it being denied. It may not mean catastrophe in my lifetime, but I care about my nieces and nephews leading a full life and it looks like that's not a given. And that's not an exaggeration. Dudes, I'm not prone to being sucked in by propaganda or scare tactics. And though I do admit that I tend to like my men wooden, Al Gore is NOT all that. If you think I might have been taken, please see it and then show me the error of my ways. If you already know all this, I hope you are doing something to make a change. I've started today. I am gonna work as hard as I can to stay frightened and aware and make real changes in my own life to make a difference. It's not all gloom and doom in the movie, either. It seems like the world is waking up to this crisis. The Kyoto Protocol, which seeks to reduce greenhouse gases, has been ratified by all the industrial nations, except two. The U.S. and Australia. Shame. And it's no surprise that the US is BY FAR the largest contributor of carbon into the environment. I've added an easy sidebar link to a site that shows you what you can do NOW to make a real change. Start by seeing the movie, OK?

5 comments:

The Other Andrew said...

I heart Parker Posey. Kitty "call me Katherine" was a lovely cameo I thought. Young Master Routh is teh hotness don't you think? Snack. I enjoyed the film, not sure why it's getting poorly reviewed by some because I thought it was ace. Also, having been filmed around Sydney it was fun to watch the shots of Metropolis and play 'spot the location'. I love that game.

Michael said...

I loved it as well, A. It's had mostly good reviews here, I believe, but one of my goto guys, Roger Ebert, was not impressed. I'm giving him the benefit of the doubt. He was hospitalized days after that review. Ongoing cancer stuff. Everybody has their goto movie critic guys, right? My bois are Roger Ebert and Peter Travers.

Is the Al Gore joint playing down there? Not much response on here for it, I see, but if you get a chance, please do see it. A very well done documentary regardless of your politics or feelings about Gore or views on what should be done about global warming. I'd love to hear what other people think of it.

Michael said...

I think its release is US-centric for now, but its message/point is certainly global. I hope it spreads. Everyone....EVERY....ONE....should see it.

Anonymous said...

I will definitely see An Inconvenient Truth. I've wanted to ever since I first heard about it.

Superman is on my must-see list as well, and I might go this weekend...since Pirates is opening, Superman may be a little calmer. I adore that Brandon Routh...I hope we see more of him.

I just saw The Devil Wears Prada - MUST SEE. It is worth it for Ms. Streep alone. Stanley Tucci was WONDERFUL. Go see it.

Bodhi said...

I'm Super, thanks for askin'.