Thursday, August 24, 2006

I'm gonna get free

I know August is almost over, but it's still summer, dammit. One day soon I'll start pairing this sundress with some tights, maybe in a rich chocolate, but for now it's still bare legs, guys. With that in mind, if you're still looking for the perfect summer read, then you can stop your search right here. Go pick up Scott Smith's The Ruins (linked in the sidebar) and you'll have all you could hope for. I bumped it up to the top of my TO READ pile based on Max's recommendation and, as usual, he couldn't have been more right. Check out his review for a little background. I'll simply say that even though I'm not a frequent habitue of the THRILLER aisle at the local bookseller, I tore through this book in two days. The writing is spare, the suspense is nearly unbearable. Smith takes this all the way and he doesn't flinch. You may. I did. Apparently there've been some who balk at the ending (including Stephen King), but I can't imagine it being more appropriate, or satisfying. Maybe that speaks to my current state of mind....the zeitgeist of ME. Regardless, I think you'll enjoy. Thank me later.

No comments: