Friday, August 29, 2008
Thursday, August 28, 2008
Castle, a comedic crime drama about mystery writer Nick Castle.
Cupid, a romantic dramedy featuring Trevor, a character who might just be a Roman god of love.
Never mind the ridiculousness of "comedic crime drama" and "romantic dramedy," these don't sound particularly appealing as stated, do they? Well, that's because I've left out the four most important words: Nathan, Fillion, Bobby, and Cannavale. Yeah, I'll be tuning in, too.
Wednesday, August 27, 2008
1. Wear a suit, don't look like one. Breaking up suits always sounds good, but how many times have you seen it done well? TOUGH to carry off, I think. And it's probably an indictment of my life, but the occasions to even consider it don't seem to pop up.
2. Dress to a T. Where they put a t-shirt....you guessed it....with a suit.
3. Put a Lid on It. People who look fabulous in hats x me. That's a Venn diagram with no intersection.
4. Rethink Your Leather Jacket. Buy one with a closer fit, and wear it....like a suit jacket. Lemme guess. Pair it with a t?
5. Get Some Color. This one I love because it's a lesson I have slowly learned over the years, I really enjoy the way Glenn O'Brien mixes his pops of color, and I'm also enamored of his perpetually snarky expression. Did he say his jacket was lined with naked lady?
6. Dress Up Your Denim. Hmmm, wonder how they'll do that? With a suit jacket maybe? Fer chrissake.
7. Wear It On Your Chest. Finally, another one to savor. I'm completely infatuated with Mad Men right now, so pocket squares are pinging my radar. I'm SO wearing one next time I need to wear a suit. Which, you know, Grandma turned 93 last week, so any time. That would be a crisply folded white one, but the colored ones in this video are SMASHING.
8. Go Vest, Young Man. A new week, another "break up your suit" tip. Not sure I can pull this off, but the video is worth it for all the stills of the lovely James McAvoy rocking vests and cocky expressions.
So I guess these are probably good tips, if a little repetitive. It'll be interesting (?) to see how they come up with 22 more "rules."
Dude: Barack Obama is not the man.
Me: O RLY?
Dude: And it's not that....I mean, I'd vote for Colin Powell.
Me: Um. OK.
Dude: Plus, have people already forgotten 9/11?
Me: What do you mean?
Dude: Well, he was mostly raised in the Middle East.
Me: Actually, no, he wasn't.
Dude: Either way, he's still a Muslim.
Me: So you think we'll get rain today?
I feel guilty about it, but sometimes I'm just too tired to go on.
Look, I'm not trying to feel superior to this guy, or even mock his political affiliations. Believe what you want to believe, but if you can't be bothered to get INFORMED, then shut up. Is it too much to ask that you UNDERSTAND why you believe something? It's like, I'm not gonna suddenly start talking about football. Like that.
Wednesday, August 20, 2008
And for those who just can't cotton to a little ON GIRL action, I'll offer the silver and bronze medalists on horizontal bar from last night's apparatus competition in Beijing. Germany's Fabien Hambuechen seems sincere in his congratulations to US gymnast Jonathan Horton, no? Two words: Pocket rockets. (via)
Tuesday, August 19, 2008
Mom: I'm really surprised he has time for marathon training.
Me: What do you mean?
Mom: Well, he has a very successful business and he's working all the time.
Me: What about me?
Mom: What about you?
Monday, August 18, 2008
Me: So is it tender? How long is the incision?
She: Not tender. For once I'm glad my boobs are kinda numb. And the incision is right next to the nipple, so it sort of blends in.
Me: So no one will notice?
She: No, Keith*, I don't think all the people who look at my nipples will notice.
*She calls me "Keith."
Saturday, August 16, 2008
Y'all, I've been invited to a Grey Gardens Garden Party! I know. It's all I can do to get anything done since. I'm supposed to WORK when I'm still undecided about my outfit? The party is in October, so I'm leaning toward going as STAUNCH Edie. Seems right for fall, plus I already have the blue bath towel/head scarf, and the gold brooch (natch). Though I don't have that dress, military-style is still around for fall, right? I should be able to pick up something. This is gonna be the shit. S-H-I-T!
Friday, August 15, 2008
I wonder if mom still has that Vitamaster unit in her basement somewhere? Did you know you can SHAKE the cellulite right off?That brings back memories. I really enjoyed that vibrating belt as a kid, though I didn't fully understand why.