I guess there's only so much you can do with a man's clothes, but I have to admit I'm disappointed with the daily videos I've been receiving from GQ Rules (How To Become A Well-Dressed Rebel In 30 Days). I guess I'm only a week in, so it's probably too early to call, but so far we have the following:
1. Wear a suit, don't look like one. Breaking up suits always sounds good, but how many times have you seen it done well? TOUGH to carry off, I think. And it's probably an indictment of my life, but the occasions to even consider it don't seem to pop up.
2. Dress to a T. Where they put a t-shirt....you guessed it....with a suit.
3. Put a Lid on It. People who look fabulous in hats x me. That's a Venn diagram with no intersection.
4. Rethink Your Leather Jacket. Buy one with a closer fit, and wear it....like a suit jacket. Lemme guess. Pair it with a t?
5. Get Some Color. This one I love because it's a lesson I have slowly learned over the years, I really enjoy the way Glenn O'Brien mixes his pops of color, and I'm also enamored of his perpetually snarky expression. Did he say his jacket was lined with naked lady?
6. Dress Up Your Denim. Hmmm, wonder how they'll do that? With a suit jacket maybe? Fer chrissake.
7. Wear It On Your Chest. Finally, another one to savor. I'm completely infatuated with Mad Men right now, so pocket squares are pinging my radar. I'm SO wearing one next time I need to wear a suit. Which, you know, Grandma turned 93 last week, so any time. That would be a crisply folded white one, but the colored ones in this video are SMASHING.
8. Go Vest, Young Man. A new week, another "break up your suit" tip. Not sure I can pull this off, but the video is worth it for all the stills of the lovely James McAvoy rocking vests and cocky expressions.
So I guess these are probably good tips, if a little repetitive. It'll be interesting (?) to see how they come up with 22 more "rules."