Friday, May 11, 2007

That's the revolutionary costume for today

Since I bitched about WHAT NOT TO WEAR, I feel I should offer some positive suggestions. Since I'm no expert, I'll defer to Little Edie Beale. In her own words:
This is the best thing to wear for today, you understand. Because I don't like women in skirts and the best thing is to wear pantyhose or some pants under a short skirt, I think. Then you have the pants under the skirt and then you can pull the stockings up over the pants underneath the skirt. And you can always take off the skirt and use it as a cape. So I think this is the best costume for today.
You got that, ladies? People don't wear capes enough, can we all agree on that? My obsession with Grey Gardens continues. The original film, the recently released follow-up The Beales of Grey Gardens, the Broadway play, the Rufus Wainwright song...it's just all so delicious and satisfying, and yet somehow my appetite persists unsated. Oh the outfits.

And no, I don't feel like my enjoyment of the ladies Beale is in any way cruel. I love these women. Their celebrity is largely posthumous, but I can't help but imagine how they'd be feted in this world of instant fame. They were such stars in their own minds already, would it have changed them much? I don't think so. Maybe a tighter weave bath towel/head scarf.

4 comments:

freakgirl said...

So, what ARE you wearing?

abnitude said...

i was fascinated when i saw grey gardens and even though at times i thought i was viewing members of an insane assylum, i had to keep watching. i have not seen the follow up and now will have to.

The Other Andrew said...

Mikey, maybe you should have passed this advice on to the 61 year old with the little red knit mini skirt. Capelets - so hot right now!

Michael Guy said...

I like capes. But I really dig that "MATRIX" coat Keanu Reeves sported in all those films. I'm just gay like that.