Friday, July 29, 2005

Every little step I take

I've got no love for ol' Dr. Frist, but I may grudgingly warm to him if he keeps this up. He's broken from the herd and come out in favor of opening up restrictions on stem cell research. Frist, in a fit of common sense, is now advocating we use stem cells that are otherwise going to be thrown away. Lest you start to feel too warm and fuzzy toward him, he still advocates permanent freezing of unused IVF embryos. Life is best sanctified via frozen inanimation, I suppose. Also, he'd really like to restrict a woman's right to choose. So if you run into him, it's air kisses or maybe a man hug, but no nuzzling and definitely no tongue.

PS I have two precious nieces and one nephew courtesy of in vitro fertilization procedures my sisters underwent. One sister (lovely girl, snores like a hacksaw) is currently required to pay in order to preserve unused frozen embryos indefinitely. She doesn't feel comfortable destroying them. I have no question that she would be OK with them being used for vital, potentially life-preserving research. Can someone explain "culture of life" to me again?

No comments: