Tuesday, July 26, 2005

You can't take that away from me

For as long as I can remember, I am the guy who bends it (like Beckham?) to the left. I'm fine with it. I've never had any complaints. Well, not many. It's quite a subtle bend, not harsh at all. So here's my problem (secret?). I'm confused by how I'm responding to the so-called "racial profiling" issue with security searches, of late in the NY and London subways, but since 9/11 in the airports. The debate continues. Would it be so wrong if these searches were more pointed/directed and less random? Against my usual liberal bias, right now I feel it would be OK to direct searches toward more likely suspects instead of searching my 60 y.o. mother on each leg of her trip to Boca Raton. I must be wrong about this, right? Am I so quick to let them take away my rights? Someone needs to set me straight on this and I'll tell you up front that they will need to be firm about it.

No comments: