Friday, March 10, 2006

I can feel 'em flyin' like a hand out the window in the wind

Thanks to Kyle (via freakgirl), I have a new obsession. It's fitday.com. It's a site where you can log your daily food intake and exercise. It generates reports that show you percentages of protein, carbohydrates and fat in your diet and how much of the RDA's you're meeting for nutrients. It shows you how many calories you're consuming vs. those you're burning. As Kyle suggested in his post, it's been a bit of an eye opener for me. You might not be surprised to learn that, over the years, I've been a bit cavalier about what I put in my mouth. It's only been four days, but this has made me more conscious of my choices. I've been doing OK diet wise, but putting a spotlight on my food intake has highlighted a few problems. Did you know one cup of almonds is over 800 calories? I've been knocking down almonds by the can. I loves me some nuts, so it's been a challenge (maybe I'll just put them in my mouth and roll them around a little), but a structure like this site provides is right up my alley. Maybe too much. I can get obsessive and self-denial can turn into my middle name (I've dropped seven pounds since Monday). Anyway, I think it's a great site for anyone, even if you're not trying to lose weight. It's a cliche' (those are almost ALWAYS true, yo) but you are what you eat, and you'll get a good idea of what you're putting into your temple. What? It's the weekend and you're not gonna let me mix a metaphor?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, that's a few too many double entendres for this early in the morning! (or aren't there any, and I'm just dirty minded?) Actually, I've been trying to find that site since I heard about it on tv a few weeks ago. Thanks! I've only entered breakfast and already I'm thinking about hitting the gym today to work it off.

Michael said...

Double entendres? Where?

I feel the same way about that site, Maddie. I've been doing 2/days this week! Weightlifting at lunch and then back to the gym for some treadmill action in the evening. Well, for three days I did that. I've never kept a food journal before. It really forces you to examine what you're eating. When you get a real-time nutritional update on how you're doing it helps you to choose wisely. It's only been 5 days, though, so we'll see if I keep it up.

freakgirl said...

I am using that site, too. Am I the only one having real problems trying to actually find the foods eaten? I have to guess for many things, and I don't believe it's all accurate, because if this is the way I really eat, I should weigh 90 pounds.

I'm exaggerating. It is illuminating, though. It's kind of neat, like the other day I took a look at it in the afternoon and saw that I really didn't need many more carbs that day but did need protein. So I had a steak for dinner, no potatoes. It looks like I am doing decent on the sorts of fat I eat, too.

I can barely discuss my struggles with weight because I feel like no matter what I do, nothing happens. I'm sure that's not true, but it's the most frustrating thing I've ever done and the fact that you lost seven pounds since Monday makes me want to kick you in the head. :)

Of course, I haven't stepped on a scale for an entire year.

Jen said...

I lost 4 pounds since Wednesday and all I've done is sat around and got high. You all may commence with the hating at your leisure, I know you have workouts and such on your busy schedules.

freakgirl said...

Yeah, I'll be moving in with Jen.

Michael said...

I haven't had too much trouble finding foods yet, but I've been eating pretty raw this week. I did customize a protein bar into a CLIF bar and also added my favorite Panera salad into the custom foods.

I'm surprised at how my calories breakdown. I'm eating way more carbs that I was conscious of. I'm not a 'carbs bad!' guy, but if they are processed sugars and providing no nutrient benefit, they're a waste.

You know you can kick me in the head anytime, right? It's a big target, only square instead of round. Seven pounds off me is probably mostly water. And you have to remember I'm 6'1" and was creeping up toward 190 lbs. which is a lot. Is it just me or do straight women and gay men have the most body issues? Straight men and lesbians SEEM to have no problem or are they just pretending? OK, the generalizing and stereotyping portion of our program is now over. I do think that people have to eat reasonably well, make a concerted effort to get a healthy dose of exercise and then (the hardest part) be happy to let the chips fall where they may.

Jen, you forgot 'lots of groupy sex', though. You're on the Rock Star Diet, right?

Jen said...

Heh, no Michael, I'm on the autoimmune disease program (which I wish came with lots of groupy sex but sadly does not). Right now I'm in the thyroid-buzz phase, the only real upside of which is that I can effortlessly lose the weight I gained the last time my thyroid went on strike.

I imagine Freakgirl doesn't want to live with me anymore, now that she's aware my weight loss program involves the possibility of adrenal crisis, but we could still have fun getting super high and watching whatever in the hell's on E! or VH-1.

Ime, body issues can definitely be big trouble for men and lesbians, too, but they absolutely plague people who want to be considered attractive by men -- from my theory head stuff, I think it's a cultural thing around how masculinity and femininity are defined, and the messaging we all constantly get about self-worth, and what constitutes beauty, and how obsessed male attraction allegedly is with beauty ideals.

Jen said...

big trouble for men and lesbians

D'oh! That should read "straight men and lesbians". I had an online debate yesterday about gender that went on for like 6 freakin' hours and I'm blurry and hungover from it today, having trouble stringing phrases together. But you guys know what I meant, right?