Tuesday, July 11, 2006

Don't try to live your life in one day

I'm loathe to make one of those "no time to post" posts. After all, I had time to watch Dark Angel last night and time to pull one off after. No, no, I wasn't thinking of Jessica Alba when I yanked it. Well, maybe a little bit. I am extra busy this week, though. My "associate" is on vacation so I am one man doing the work of three. You knew he was the worker and I was the slacker, right? Despite all that, a few anniversaries rolled around this week. The blogging thing? Apparently I've been at it for about a year. I say "about" because there were a few hitches in the beginning. Like when I first realized someone was reading and I deleted everything. Eventually I put it back up and here it is a year later, and I'm still so fucking reticent to divulge lots of personal stuff. Dunno. I do think that I've made a little progress. Like lots of you know who I am, what I do, where I live, what I dream of. Change doesn't happen in a day. Well, it does, but it's the little things each day that add up. It's not castles and kings, it's the little things, my babies. It's been a year. I'm not sure there'll be another year. I LOVE these blogs, don't get me wrong, but what I really love is reading them, maybe leaving a pithy comment or two (often, tragically, trying to shift the spotlight to ME). For now, I can't express loudly or warmly enough what a treasure y'all have become to me. Some of the coolest people I know, I know through this lil' community. Is that sad? I think it's awesome.

Here's another anniversary I noticed last night. I've been doing the Fitday thing for four months now. Yes, yes, THAT again. I mention it only because it's been a boon to me and I if it can help someone else, what's a few extra lines on here? Just skim, bitch. Anyway, here's the chart of what's happened to my weight since I started. Yes, despite all that talk about abs from last year, I was steadily creeping up in weight. Now 188 on me is not bad at all. I'm 6'1", but I feel so much better now. My aim now is to gain five pounds or so, but preferably lean mass....some muscle, and if it's ass-centric muscle, the more the merrier. WAY more importantly than weight, though, is the Fitday has allowed me to track my nutrition stuff more closely. Make sure I'm getting all the nutrients I need. I decided when I started that if I had THAT down, the rest would be what it would be. And here again, each day is a brand new life. Nothing I can do about yesterday, but lots I can do about today. Little changes, most of them practically imperceptible, add up to a lot. But again, it's not about the outside, it's about taking care of the inside. Our insides are what really count, right? I almost kept a straight face on that one. Heh.Thanks to Kyle over at Freakgirl for pointing me to my boo.

8 comments:

Michael Guy said...

Michael! Did you leave the cake out in the rain?

"...I don't think I can take it..'cause it took so long to bake it...and I'll never have that recipe again..."

Hon, congrats on the ONE year thang. You just keep writing. It's good for the soul. And besides we get to sit in the cheap seats and sneak a peek as you reveal the next layer. Sing out, Louise!

Now 'bout this Fitday. You think moi should try this? I have a serious sweet-tooth and need to get my mind/body into that 'my body is a temple' mindset.

Michael said...

MG, isn't it perfect? The cake, I mean. It's so....busted. Mmmm, "MacArthur's Park". My lil' sister did a baton competition using Donna Summer's version. Yeah. I was a lil' jealous.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm sure I'll keep posting. It occasionally FLARES into fun.

RE: Fitday-- it might be a little too regimented for you, fabulous artistic type that you are, but I think it can be an eye opener even if only done for a week. Log every morsel that passes your lips and be prepared to be surprised. I use it religiously. It keeps a running tally of carb/protein/fat breakdown and also fiber and nutrient values through your day, so you can choose foods accordingly. And I suppose that once you log in some Coldstone Creamery thing and see what the toll is, it makes you think twice. At least some of the time.

freakgirl said...

I don't use it anymore because I hated feeling chained to it, but it definitely effected a change in my eating habits. Not a huge, life-altering change, but I think it's definitely allowed me to make more rational choices most days.

Anonymous said...

That cake is hideous. Well, happy anniversary or whatever you call a blogiversary. I totally expect content or something when I come to this page. How else will you retain the title of my blog husband?

The Other Andrew said...

Hey, I feel like I had a small impact on history here. Ah, I remember the day I discovered your blog at like post 2, or was it 3?, linked to you and made you go HOLY SHIT! and take the sucker down. Aw, good times. If you can't give your friends a breakdown, who can you, right?

I hope you do keep on writing, and I hope I get better at answering emails promptly. :)

Ur-spo said...

I do hope you continue blogging;
I only recently fell down the rabbit hole of blogs, and yours is one of my favorites. You write well and your photos are very good.
Please keep em coming!

Beau RN said...

Michael,
Happy Anniversary. As a recent late-comer to all that is Michael, I hope you stick around. You rock.

Re: Fitday. I hadn't heard about this (do I live under a rock) but started it as soon as I took a look at it. I see the intrinsic value in it right away. Trying to find or build the food I ate yesterday was a bit challenging, but I had a pretty fair representation by bedtime. I think it could really be helpful for me...to keep me focused on what I'm eating and how inactive I've become. Thanks again. I'll let you know how it goes.

Michael said...

Freakgirl, we had a good run with it, though. It completely fuels this obsessive aspect of my personality, but even if you do it for a week, I think you learn a few things.

Charlie, if I ever feel like quitting, the fear of losing my coveted role as your internet life partner will carry me through. I'll hear you urging me to "stay alive, no matter what occurs!". See how I let you be Daniel Day Lewis there to my Madeline Stowe?

Andrew, small impact? I'll skip the short jokes. There's nothing small about your impact. My blog history is RIDDLED with your impact. And you know how I loves me some riddling.

ur-spo, so sweet! You know my nature photos are my own, but the rest are glommed, right? I have to get over to your joint toot sweet and check it out.

Beau, I rock you! I really rock you! OK, so my Sally Field ain't so hot. Thanks for the kind words. RE: Fitday
You look mighty fit already (Hello, biceps!), but like I was saying, even logging food and exercise for a week or two can be eye-opening. I'm fairly religious with exercise, but doing the Fitday helped me realize a few things. One is that there can be too much of a good thing. One would think one could never get enough nuts, right? I mean, right? Hands in the air for nuts, people. I was almond boy and I never realized how many calories they were packing. And I wasn't getting enough protein. I'm ecto (to your meso.....bitch), and I need to lift heavy and often, but wasn't getting enough protein to sustain it. Now I try to get a gram of protein/pound of body weight every day. It's helping. Anyway, I could go on and on. (and have)