Wednesday, July 05, 2006

What kind of girl do you take me for?

I know I'll have at least one detractor, but this week's PIE is HAWT, y'all! But be reminded, the PIE is not really about the pretty or even the sexy, although Miss Nelly does epitomize a quality that I most enjoy in women, namely, manliness. One of my friends said he first knew I was gay when I waxed rhapsodic about Penelope Cruz. The main reason Nelly is wearing the banner this week is that her new CD, Loose, which I picked up old school-stizz, aggravatingly shrink-wrapped from a real live store, is the SHIT. Oh, I just realized. You know when I say Nelly, I mean Furtado, right?That boy rapper with the verchacta Band-aid is so nancy, but so not the PIE. Anyway, loving Miss Furtado's album. Loving everything about it. Thinking of being it for Halloween. (Holla, Jack! ::sigh:: I miss Will and Grace.) I profess my love despite the fact that I'm not a huge fan of every damn song needing a guest rapper intro/bridge/outro, and La Furtado certainly suffers from an acute case of that malady. And then there is this lil' snippet where Nelly takes hold of the rap reigns herself in the mega-hit, Promiscuous:
Roses are red
Some diamonds are blue
Chivalry is dead
But you're still kinda cute
Ummm, sometimes things are so, so bad that they loop back around to good, you know? Like Richard Simmons is one anklet away from being straight? Similar phenomenon. LOVE. IT. And her. Grab a fork, kids.

10 comments:

freakgirl said...

Heh. Yuck.

You know, I don't really care for her new album. But I loved her last one; the one that sold like five copies and apparently compelled her to change her entire style. Ah well. I am in the minority here. Those are good pictures of her, though.

freakgirl said...

Insert the phrase "the failure of which" in between the words "and" and "apparently."

Sorry. :)

Michael said...

I got what you meant. I loved her last album, too. This one is definitely a different tack for her, but I love the production and it's SO FUN! It's summer driving music par excellence! (He exclaimed) I think Rich at fourfour said that it's Love.Angel.Music.Baby done by someone who can actually sing and I totally agree.

Oh, and I think she's beautiful, but you know, big 'mo.

freakgirl said...

Hmmmm. Maybe I'll give the new album a second chance.

I should probably lighten up, but it really bugs me that nobody paid attention to her until she started taking her clothes off and doing sweaty performances with Timbaland.

Bodhi said...

Dude, I am sure that I don't have to tell you this, but just about more than anyone I can appreciate a Nelly ;-)

But it so happens that I have seen aforementioned Pie live back in 2002 here in Sydney at the Rhumba Festival. Shaggy (Mr lover, lover) rocked, ex Baby Spice Emma Bunton was fun and Abs (Richard Breen) from then disjoined boyband Five had The Kid and I both screaming with the cuteness. But Nelly, oh dear Brad, Nelly.

Dude, she was shit. Diarroeah pie. And on every level: the choice of songs, her singing, and the ever present what-the-fuck-is-she wearing wardrobe. She wasn't exactly warmly receieved after that little performance, I can tell you. Though I must admit, I was not a huge fan of hers beforehand, The Kid was and she was far from impressed.

So admire from afar, Bro. Admire from afar away as possible.

Bodhi said...

Sooooo good you'll want to have his children. I know I do.

*Sigh*

freakgirl said...

I second that emotion, bodhi. Soooo good.

Michael said...

Freakgirl, I hadn't realized she was taking her clothes off! Her first album was so huge and the second such a sales disappointment (even though I was with you in the five who bought it), that I suppose I respect that she can change directions. I tend to get bored with the "successful formula" being repeated, so it doesn't make sense to repeat what didn't work. Artistic integrity? What's that? I just like the beats. And her voice.

Bodhi, I LOVE that you have such a strong opinion. I've never seen her perform LIVE. Probably won't, especially after your review, but that's not a requirement for me liking her CD. It makes me happy. I take that where I can get it.

Also, I'm DYING that before the year is out, I'll be the ONLY one who hasn't seen the Robbie in concert. Fuck it. I should just haul my tight ass to Sydney. I'm sure the scalpers will be out en force at the venue. And think of all the money I'll be saving by sleeping with Bodhi?

Bodhi said...

And think of all the money I'll be saving by sleeping with Bodhi?

Of course you will be saving all that money by sleeping with moi. The only real question is that after "sleeping" with moi will vous still have enough energy for the concert?

;-)

Bodhi said...

Hey! who are you calling cheap?

Oh. M'kay. Fair call.

[Q-60's. Just between you and me, sweetness, I am actually a gay robot sent back in time to save the human race. That's right ... I'm a Fabulator.]