Wednesday, July 12, 2006

Like a virgin, touched for the very first time

Apologies in advance, we have another skinny bitch this week. Get a load of Cate Blanchett, y'all. She's Wednesday's PIE and she is fabulous. If she never did another thing, she'd have my big gay undying admiration for her turn as Elizabeth, the Virgin Queen (watch the trailer), in the movie of the same name.How incredible was she in that? Well, she didn't stop there. Nope. She nabbed the plum role of Galadriel in the LOTR movies (who wouldn't have KILLED to be an elf in one of those?)(liar), and she rocked it. Anyway, she's the PIE because I watched Elizabeth again the other night and was transfixed. That is a great movie. By all means, catch it if you haven't. Especially if you're a big 'mo. Yeah, I can't figure exactly why, but it's one of those flicks, guys. It had been a while since I'd seen it, and I never realized that Daniel Craig (aka New Bond) was the assassin priest. That slow motion scene where he's stalking Lizzie and his clerical robes are flowing behind him? Schwing! {{Have I mentioned that I'm bringing "schwing" back?}} I also hadn't remembered that Christopher Eccleston was the Duke of Norfolk. Errrr...yum! {{You can't rush these things}} One role I did remember was Joseph Fiennes as Dudley. Hmmm. I guess it's not such a great mystery why this movie is gay iconic.Forget the boys, though, it's mostly because Cate is fabulous as the bastard turned monarch. And any queen who tosses off lines like "I will have one mistress here...and no master!" is gonna prick the queer ears. Follow that up with the pivotal transformation to the virgin scene and fuggedaboutit. We're frothy.And she's Aussie, yo. Hot.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love her. Great choice.

Elizabeth is one of my all-time favorite movies. She does an amazing job of transforming from innocent girl to all-business Virgin Queen. That end scene gives me chills. And...Daniel Craig is in that?? I haven't seen it in a while, there's a reason to re-rent.

Cate was so wonderful as Katherine Hepburn in The Aviator, which was an emotionally draining movie that I cannot watch over and over, but liked a lot. I loved her performance so much - she should play Katherine if there is a biopic in the future. She nailed it without being over the top.

Michael said...

Maddie, leave it to you to point out she was BRILL in The Aviator. I meant to mention that. Do check out Elizabeth again. I found it via my Daniel Craig "wishlist". He's the priest sent to kill our beloved heretic queen. Sent by Sir John Gielgud, the evil Pope (I'm not sure which, but they're all evil in their own way, right?)