Sunday, July 30, 2006

'neath the stars twinkling high above

It was bound to happen. I always hoped it would, anyway. Still, it took me by surprise. I fell madly in love this weekend. No, not with a guy. And no, despite what some have asserted, not with a girl. Remember that unholy union between Apple and Nike that I'd mentioned a few months back? Well, the fruits of that corporate connubial bliss came to fruition in mid-July and I resisted the temptation of the forbidden for, oh, all of ten days or so. I had the Nano already, but I needed the transmitter, and of course the shoes. They had to make it so you MUST buy the shoes. So I did. I'm brainstorming a work-around on that though, so I can use my pathetic, non-compatible shoes, too. So far I'm thinking I can jury-rig something using a needle and thread, double-sided tape, some spit, and a bit of velcro. Sounds like a few dates I've had, actually. Anyway, this product OWNS. I've only used it three times, but it performed flawlessly and uploading workouts to the Nike site is seamless, as is Apple's way.There was a bit of a snafu early, as I was so excited to try it, that I failed to calibrate my unit (dirty!) first. I had read that it was unnecessary, but in my case it was. The first run results showed me much slower than I am. I haven't been working this hard for nothing. I'm fleet, bitches. Once I got the calibration done (a simple 400 on the track), it's been accurate and fun! You can set up workouts based on distance, time, calories burned or open-ended ones where you start and stop at your leisure. I did a 10K training run this morning and the device prompts into your earbuds with distance covered/remaining and gives you some words of encouragement near the end. Best and most surprising part? When I finished today, I was congratulated on my successful run by none other than Paula Radcliffe, world marathon record holder, in her comely British accent. Yay! Had I not finished the run in a very public venue, I surely would have caressed it then and there. What? No, I mean the Nano. As it was, I contented myself with cradling it on the warm-down walk home. Now I am talking about my cock.

8 comments:

Ur-spo said...

Yes, I agree, you are a fortunate man.

Michael said...

Thanks, y'all. I may have been unclear, but Ms. Radcliffe was speaking to me through the Nike+ adaptor and was not in my sad, little town in person. Or am I lucky for some other reason?

Jen said...

Nifty gadgets. 7.5 minute miles? You're more than fleet, baby, you're The Streak. Fastest thing on two feet. ;)

Anonymous said...

I have been looking at your device and its marvy capabilities at the Apple site lately and Finish Line has the shoes, Nordies the gear (Nike+) ... Gah. You lucky bastard!! I looooove that kind of shit.

You know if I could do it in my brain (all the calculations, I mean) I would... I try. Like speeding up at landmarks and knowing I'm beating my previous times and stuff. Love it. Paper and pencil in a journal cannot compete with your divine fantasy coach who keeps your notes for you and urges you on.

Plus I’ll bet you look fab. Poetry in motion.

Michael Guy said...

Er, would you hold it against me if I was the type to just stand in the kitchen with my morning coffee mouthing '...have a nice run, dear' as the door swings shut?

I just know those runner stems never looked cuter...

Michael said...

You always know just what to say, Jen. ;-) I had to start slow in that run because my calf was tight, but I felt like the Streak by the end. I love the way that site graphs your speed over time.

loulou, you and me both, baby. I eat that shit up. And immediate stats? Graph me gently with a chainsaw, Heather. I picked up both the shoes and the Nike+ device at the Footlocker. You're right about being spurred on. I've been running these environs for over 12 years now, so I have well-worn familiar courses covering known distances, but this gives me INSTANT feedback on my actual speed, not just what I perceive. I just hope it doesn't make me push too hard, actually. Kinda like Fitday made me overshoot my weight loss goal. Numbers and lines and instant stats are SO up my alley.

MG, hold it against you? Silly boy, not as long as you had my breakfast apertif in hand when I returned.

Michael said...

Oh, I see, Q. Thanks, again. It is a fun gadget and I guess I do feel lucky that I'm so easily entertained by the likes of it. So easily entertained PERIOD, really. It must suck to have discriminating taste.

The Other Andrew said...

"Graph me gently with a chainsaw, Heather."

I just fell in love you a little bit more.