Sunday, February 05, 2006

Good men through the ages, tryin’ to find the sun


I'm not a fan of country music, but at TiVo's suggestion, I recorded Crossroads the other night. It's a show on CMT where they pair artists of different (though adjacent) genres. This show put John Fogerty and Keith Urban on stage together. Since I'm a big CCR fan and also a big fan of hot guys in jeans with Aussie accents, I checked it out. Great stuff, people. Fogerty seems a bit distracted (read: drug-addled) but Keith Urban is charming and funny and can wear the hell out of a t-shirt. I checked and I didn't see any repeats upcoming, but check it out if you get a chance. These two on a leather banquette doing an unplugged rendition of Rambunctious Boy...that alone is worth the price of admission.

While we're talking TV, can I say one more thing about The Book of Daniel? I know I went on about it before AND that it's already canceled, but they are broadcasting the unaired episodes online here. This week's episode is easily the best of the series. It deals with the aftermath of Peter's gay-bashing. The episode is a bit complex because scenes time jump between now and 3 weeks previous when the assault occurred and also 2 years previous when Peter's twin Jimmy died of leukemia. Wait! It's really, really good. So well done and better than 90% of the dramas on network tv. It really is reminiscent of Six Feet Under. And if crying is your thing, I sobbed guys. Tears, snot, sobbing. PS No commercials so it's only 43 minutes!

7 comments:

Michael said...

Seriously, if anyone samples that Book of Daniel and doesn't cry their flippin' eyes out, I wanna hear about you and your cold, dead heart.
And seriously, if anyone caught that Crossroads and doesn't have a bit of a boner for Keith Urban, I wanna hear about it. Your boner, I mean. Discuss.

The Other Andrew said...

I'm not sure we're going to even get this series in Oz, especially if they've already canned it. Shame really, because I love a good blub. Hell, I've even cried at some commercials.

Anonymous said...

Keith Urban? Yum!

Jen said...

I don't follow the country music so I had no idea who Keith Urban was until I hit Google this AM, but he is very pretty. Can the boy sing? I'm actually not that much of a CCR fan either (although if I've had enough beer and Hey Tonight comes out of a nearby jukebox, I'm sure I look like one), but I do enjoy that Crossroads show on occasion. Roomie & I caught a magical sliver of Heart & Wynnona one night, and Melissa Etheridge & Dolly Parton another night, and the one that surprised me by being so outstanding was Pat Benatar singing with Martina McBride. Which reminds me, I need to put McBride on my To Buy list (I already have mucho Benatar, natch) because that woman could belt out a tune. Hmm, I guess I dig the chicks. :)

I was kinda bummed about the cancellation of Book of Daniel, too. I thought it had promise. And thanks so much for mentioning what happened to the other son, because that was one of those things that got caught in my neurotic brain filter, you know, "Omg I'll never know how their other son died." Unresolved plot points drive me nuts.

Anonymous said...

Networks do that all the time - cancel decent shows before they have the slightest chance to find an audience. Then they leave on total crap shows forever.

About Keith Urban - I am a fan of country music, among other types...and Keith is one of my favorites. Besides being good looking, I think an Australian singing country is just interesting - and his songs are great.

Michael said...

Jen, the boy can really sing. I didn't realize it until this show. I'm not a country fan either, but I was aware of a few of his songs. He's one of those people who are better live than recorded. I feel the same way about Indigo Girls. On iTunes they have some live stuff he did...very good. And he's WAY easy on the eyes. And that accent....yow.

Anonymous said...

maddie, exactly. Three episodes? I think the last two episodes that have aired online only have been the strongest ones. They didn't even give it a chance.