Thursday, October 13, 2005

Ain't ya got no gingerbread, ain't ya got no candy?

A few days ago, Freakgirl was talking about falling in love with Dolly Parton's cover of Shine. That's a good one. I'm not a Dolly Parton fanatic, but she does have a beautiful, crystalline voice. More than that, though, she's outrageous and I'm a fag. Do the math. Anyway, she has a new CD out that looks like it could be fabulous. Dolly loves some PEACE and she is covering songs that speak to that on Those Were the Days . Here's the track list:

1. Those Were The Days
2. Blowin' In The Wind
3. Where Have All The Flowers Gone
4. Twelfth Of Never
5. Where Do The Children Play
6. Me And Bobby McGee
7. Crimson And Clover
8. The Cruel War
9. Turn, Turn, Turn
10. If I Were A Carpenter
11. Both Sides Now
12. Imagine


I don't know about you, but I think this shit sounds hot. I'm downloading some of it and I'll let you know. Dolly has a short interview in this week's Entertainment Weekly. She's asked about some young men at her concerts who sport "What Would Dolly Do" t-shirts and the interviewer wonders whether she's surprised by her gay following. Dolly says, "Well, no. I'm very honored. I think they just know that I accept everybody as they are....And they're a bit flamboyant for the most part, and so am I. They relate to the gaudiness." Love her.

6 comments:

Jen said...

I love her, too.

When she covered Crimson & Clover did she change the gendered lyrics like women usually do, or did she keep the original and suggest some hot girl-on-girl action? I so should've known I was queer the first time I heard Joan Jett sing it that way and it made my belly get all full of butterflies, alas, it was another couple years before I figured it out.

freakgirl said...

Michael, I would love if you'd share those downloads when you get them. :)

The Other Andrew said...

Jeez Jen, I would almost have slept with Joan Jett at that point.

Almost.

Jen said...

You could have had hobbit babies! :)

Michael said...

I'm downloading right now, so I'll let y'all know how it is. Looks like she has lots of cool people backing her, including keith urban. nice. The sample bit of Both Sides Now sounds good. Joni is the shit, of course. Right?

Michael said...

PS Loving it! In "The Cruel War" (with Alison Krauss, Mindy Smith & Dan Tyminski) she hauls out the patented Dolly whisper-singing.