Wednesday, December 14, 2005

Everything you thought is possible if you believe

I finished Augusten Burrough's Magical Thinking over the weekend. Augusten's main mode is to bring the funny and he doesn't disappoint in this one. While he's being hilarious, he's also brutally honest and achingly emotional. Most of the essays in the last half of the book feature his partner, Dennis/The Schnauzer. The way he describes their love and their relationship has me pining. I'll just say it. I want someone to tangle limbs with every night, someone to inhale in the morning, and he may as well have lightly hairy pecs you could bounce a quarter off, you know, as long as I'm dreaming. This won't make me look good, but I've never had that for very long. The only lasting relationships I've had have been with women. With guys? It's been more random and often under the influence. Pretty, huh? Anyway, if you haven't read any of this dude's stuff, pick up Running With Scissors and thank me later. The movie is coming out next year, with a serious cast, yo. So, now I'm reading Breakfast at Tiffany's. After seeing Capote a few weeks ago, I felt the need to read something of his. I've read In Cold Blood before, so I thought I'd try this. Good so far. Truman can turn a phrase like a muthafucka. He's also gay, like Augusten. And an alcoholic, like Augusten. And swishy.

5 comments:

Bodhi said...

Gay, Alcoholic and Swishy, seeking relationship. Ummmm, hel-llloooo!

Anonymous said...

Check out Sellivision, Augusten's pretty hilarious first novel. It's deliciously good, just like you.

Will said...

Oh Oh Oh my gawd AG has a new book! I'll soo go pick it up in Singapore.

And yes Sellavision is good too, but it's fiction, so it really packs on the freakiness.

Michael said...

j-go, aren't you just the sweetest thing? I've read 'Sellevision'--devoured all things Augusten. He's hot, too, no? When next I'm in NYC, we have to meet for lunch, then stalk him.
Yeah, wingedman, 'Magical Thinking' is in paperback. He has a new one coming out in April, too!

Michael said...

j. go, I JUST noticed you're back! Yay! Ummm...yay!