Tuesday, June 27, 2006

I'm thinking maybe six feet ain't so far down

OK, this is the last time you'll have to hear about it. I finally (finally!) finished the last season of Six Feet Under last weekend. I had planned to parse it out over a few weeks, thereby extending the farewell, and the enjoyment. Heh. I watched it in 3-4 days. I know that for those who watched it as broadcast it's been almost a year now, but humor me a little, won't you? See how I pretended that this whole damn blog isn't an exercise in humoring me? I'll just say it, guys. This was the best, most satisfying series finale I've ever seen. And that for a series that is easily in my Top Five All-Time (and mightily wrestling for the number one spot). The finale was wonderful--joyful, sad, tragic, quirky, human, fantastical....fitting. And it allowed me to bawl without apology because this was real stuff (unlike when I get manipulated to tears by those bastards at Extreme Home Makeover...which I refuse to watch anymore...I feel soiled after). I loved every episode of the final season, but a post about those would go on and on. A few highlights from the finale:
  • Ruth and George come to a prickly understanding. Ruth is unconsolable, but George asks to hold her and he sighs deeply as she lets him. Maybe it wasn't love anymore, but it was something they both needed. Is it wrong that I'd settle for that right now? And don't you think Frances Conroy has a bit of genius? The whole SFU cast is amazing, but she did some crazy shit and yet it was unerringly believable.
  • David and Keith come to a prickly understanding with each other and their kids. Only with these two, you can really feel the love, and David wouldn't be an easy guy to love, would he (I)? They understand each other's fears better (as a couple and a family) and come to some acceptance. But they are still kids and parents, rude and flawed and real.
  • Claire's boyfriend. Ummm....YUM! Who else wants to snack on some Ted? I keep coming back to that scene when Ted takes his naked walk to bed and then he and Claire pose and play with the camera. Divine. The lighting, the white sheets, the quick cuts showing the camera shots of their faces-- I loved it.
  • Brenda's baby is healthy. She, like David, overcomes her demons. I always assumed that the ghosts in this series were actually manifestations of the fears of the haunted. I re-watched this episode with Alan Ball's commentary and was really interested to hear him say that explicitly. Oh, and baby-wise, I love that they started this final episode with a birth instead of a death.
  • David's demon being himself and when he's exorcised it, he wakes to see Nate with the sweetest smile ever.
  • The closing Breathe Me segment with Claire driving and the montage of the future and each family member's death was brilliant. I couldn't have loved it more. Just perfect. I cried and laughed and cried again in the span of a few moments. Did I already say it was perfect? Oh, and one of David and Keith's boys is gay and has a cute Asian boyfriend. Yay!
I've loved, loved, loved other television shows, sure. I've lamented a show's end and missed the characters like I'm missing friends. Yep. But nothing like this. I've never before had such a strong connection to fictional characters (Television characters, anyway. Books are another story). Call me crazy, but I've been mourning their loss the last few days. I can't quite believe I'll get no more peeks into their lives. At the same time, this finale makes me glad I won't. Fitting, satisfying and oddly, comforting. Now I may just have to begin again. Cue Season One. I promise not to talk about it.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think SFU was one of the best series HBO ever put on. Such complex, flawed characters.

Couple of comments on your thoughts:

- LOVE me some Ted. I also love that he was a republican...but Claire still stuck with him.
- David fighting his demon was one of my favorite scenes from the finale...especially with Nate smiling at the end.
- The closing scene was amazing. I always feel like there isn't enough closure on tv shows when they finally end, like I always want to know more. It was so fitting that on a show about death, they showed each character through to the end. I loved that Keith and David grew old together, with the littlest boy gay! and they were there to see the grandchildren, that Brenda died apparently of boredom listening to her brother go on (so appropriate for them), that Claire saw Ted again and they were together to the end, and that Claire died last surrounded by her pictures. So perfectly disturbing and great that ending was.

Who knew that a story about a family running a funeral home would be this good?

By the by...don't give up on QAF now that you have some free time...season 3 is good. :)

Michael said...

Maddie, I loved that closing segment more than I can say. And yes, Claire's cataract eyes at the end morphing back to her young ones...I'm choked up again. It was GREAT to get the resolution..the tying up all the loose ends, even though we don't necessarily see the WHOLE PATH to the end. I'm usually one to argue for an ambiguous ending...feeling betrayed by a too pat or too happy ending....but this was perfect. I loved that David and Keith raised their family (and of course that Anthony is gay), and even that David was able to find love again. Claire meeting back up with Ted after all those years. God, we could go on forever, huh?

After I watched each episode, I went to TMFT and read the posts from last year! That's how desperate I was to discuss. I even commented. Are you frightened of me now? This is really sticking with me this week. I watched all the DVD extras. I re-watched the finale with Alan Ball's commentary. And OK, last night I watched the Pilot again.

And, yeah, I'm sure I'll pick up Season 3 of QAF, but I was definitely underwhelmed by Season 2. That deficiency was only highlighted by following it immediately with watching the slice of heaven that is SFU. For now, I'm gonna watch Season 1 of Grey's Anatomy. I only came in about halfway through last season.

Anonymous said...

Heh, I'm always afraid that I go on TOO long about tv shows and movies, but you make me feel normal. ;)

Oh, I'm not frightened of you, I'm too much like that myself. I love dvd extras and commentaries - and go on and on about them to my friends while they have bored looks on their faces. I just watched the original bbc The Office again, and was just dying to discuss it, but it is so done already that there's no one to discuss it with. I totally get you wanting to go back and read TMFT and comment. I watch and re-watch Alias (sometimes with commentary), Scrubs and US-Office episodes, so nothing you say about rewatching and obsessing could faze me.

I own Grey's Anatomy Season 1 - I just watched the first 3 episodes again for the 100th time on Sunday. Such a great show.

I don't mean to be a pest about QAF season 3, but I just didn't want you to miss out on a major improvement. There was such a bad response from fans over season 2...they totally lost their great drama combined with humor, they made it all ridiculous. Also, against any season of SFU, it looks even sillier.

freakgirl said...

I agree with everything you said, Michael. And I love that we got complete closure. No chance for a "reunion" show down the line. It gets to stay perfect, you know? The show stumbled a bit in later seasons, but the last one redeemed all the others.

And the fact that Billy talked Brenda to death was just the icing on a delicious cake. So funny.

I wept when Keith got shot and didn't stop tearing up randomly for a few days after that. I know it sounds crazy to get so affected by a stupid television show, but it just really got to me.

And, yes, Frances Conroy is a genius.

and p.s. - NARM!!

Michael said...

Freakgirl, I forgot about Brenda's death. Apt for the Chenowiths. And it may sound crazy to be tearing up for days over a television show, but thanks for sharing that you did. Fast forward 11 months from when you were doing it to when I'm doing it. Still. Another scene I just remembered from the last episode was when Billy and Ted meet and talk. When Billy says he's so jealous of Ted, he grabs Ted's beer bottle and holds it. Freaks Ted a bit. Alan Ball said that little exchange made him want to do a Billy and Ted spin-off.

Q-60s, if I'm responsible for even ONE person experiencing the joys of Robbie and SFU, then my blog (and life) has been worthwhile.

Michael Guy said...

Sunday night has sucked around here big time ever since the demise of SFU and Sex And The City. I barely know what to do with myself. The death of Nate and the absence of Carrie, et al...left big shoes to fill in my 'imaginary friends' circle.