Tuesday, June 06, 2006

Some things I cannot change, but 'til I try I'll never know

You know how I've been talking about that half-marathon for weeks now? I've been training and obsessing about it since my friend Allison talked me into running it while we were vacationing in Canada over Easter. I even ran 11 miles in oppressive heat a few weeks ago to make sure I was ready. Well, we didn't run, kids. Allison (aka The Instigator) was sick. So, I had a choice. Get up at 5:30 am to drive forty minutes into Ann Arbor, get on a bus for the 13 mile ride to Dexter, then run 13.1 miles by myself. In the rain. Prevailing temp: 50 F. Or, I could crawl back into bed and take care of me. I chose the latter. Well, to be precise, I took care of me first, then I climbed back into bed. Oh well. I've done a half-dozen or so half-marathons, and I'm sure I'll do one again sometime. Upside is, I'm now in great shape for the upcoming 5K-10K season. I'll run one next weekend. If I run well and get a medal, I'm running out of novel places to hang it, though.Silver lining of that cloudy start was seeing Wicked. I'll Tarantino this and start from the end. When the final curtain fell, my friend Debby and I turned to each other and said, "We're seeing that again!" Loved it, y'all. As I've mentioned previously, Debby and I shared the book ten years ago while on vacation together. We had simultaneous Son of a Witch-gasms last winter, too. This play veered wildly from the book, which I'd feared, but that ended up being one of the best things about it. When the play diverged, it did so fabulously. It actually mirrors the classic L. Frank Baum tale more closely than the Wicked book does. And they injected a lot more comedy. I, of course, love the music. I've been listening to it for months, ever since we bought the tickets. As one does. If you're at all a musical theater queen, run, don't walk, to your nearest venue and check this green goodness out. If you want, you can come with Miss Debby and I on our next jaunt. We've narrowed it down to New York, Toronto or Chicago.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm so excited for you! I love seeing theater, and had that same exact reaction when Rent was finished - that I wanted to come back the very next day and see it again.

I just found out a week and a half ago that one of my best friends wants to take me and his boyfriend to Wicked in NYC in October... staying over for the weekend, the whole bit. I could not be more excited, and it was just a tiny mention of planning it. We saw Rent over a weekend in NY and it was the best time ever.

I say, make your next Wicked viewing in NYC, but I'm biased. :)

Michael Guy said...

You do, of course, realize that seeing WICKED in Chicago is a bigger bang for your tourist buck?

.: examines manicure while eating FRANGO mints :.

Bodhi said...

musical theater queen

Darls, I have the best camp soundtrack, over the top and edge of your seat drama, and heterosexually challanged lifestyle one could possibly imagine. Moi therefore has no need to pay admission - I have front row seats for my own show sweetie.

Life is a cabaret, old chum,
come to the cararet!


But you kids have fun ... :-)

Michael said...

Maddie, we can just say it-- it's a great feeling! I'll definishly see it again. My sisters and I are gonna be in NY sometime this winter to see Mary Poppins which opens in November, I think. Maybe I'll catch Wicked again then. (My sister's friend is gonna be in Mary Poppins.)

MG, hmmmm...bang....Chicago....if you were ME, I'd think you were suggesting something here. Chicago is in the near-term plans. This summer, I'm saying now. I even changed my work screen background to a panoramic shot from the top of the 'Cock. Firenza is backburnered. Oh, and Frango...goodness knows I haven't had them in YEARS. Sinnnnnfully delicious. ::trills fingers: Have you tried the hazelnut variant? Or is that a travesty?

Bodhi,
She wasn't what you'd call
A blushing flower...
As a matter of fact
She rented by the hour.

It's like it was written FOR you. Spooky!