Thursday, June 01, 2006

They say time heals everything, but I'm still waiting

You guys, I am LOVING the Dixie Chicks this week. Thanks to recommendations from freakgirl and Charlie (and kinda after the fact, Duane), I downloaded their new joint Taking The Long Way. I'm not a lover of traditional country music, and this isn't that. It's more Southern Fried Rock. That's a thing, right? It's got a 70's vibe to it. CCR, maybe? The Eagles! Rick Rubin produces and lately he seems to be getting some good stuff out of unexpected places (Johnny Cash, Neil Diamond). The Chicks were on Larry King last night (Aside to Larry: Self-aggrandizing never looked good on you, but couple it with doddering? No.), and I just love, love, love how unapologetic they are. Just as I hoped they'd be. Natalie Maines said she has no regrets. She spoke her mind freely. That's kind of bedrock stuff, Constitution-wise, isn't it? Politics aside, the music is really good. Consider this me giving you the thumb up.

Oh, and a belated congrats to Natalie Maines for hooking Pasdar. Nice.
Added: The album entered the Billboard charts at #1, selling 525, 829 copies. Good for them.

4 comments:

Michael said...

I'm not sure, murf. I never paid them much mind before, but anyone who takes Bush to public task catches my attention. Then when you're asked to apologize and you say, "Fuck that and fuck you!", well, suddenly I'm an acolyte. Bonus is that I LOVE the CD. It's in heavy rotation at home and car. You like 'em?

Michael said...

Oh yeah, the race. Are you running, murf? How will I know you? I'm BLOWING out of there as soon as I finish. I have to shower, get pretty, and drive downtown to see the matinee of "Wicked".

Michael said...

Tall, brown hair, blue shorts, grey shirt, blue shoes, big forehead, big smile, running with a pretty blonde woman.....cheer me on, murf!

Michael said...

I'll holla! ;-)