Friday, June 23, 2006

When the rain washes you clean you'll know

A great and terrible storm ripped through here yesterday. I had no power at work for a few hours. I haven't been LOVING work as it is, but with no lights, no A.C., no radio.....dude, you have to focus on the people. No. Power was eventually restored, the workday was done, and I returned to the twisty-laned environs of my suburban tract. All seemed well. Or, all seemed Pleasantville. Then as I cozied in to munch on my big salad and catch up on hours (hours!) of lost internet time, the bottom dropped out. No cable. The fuck? What am I gonna do now? Clean? Read? So I whacked it and then continued devouring the final season of SFU (haven't I been talking about watching that for like a year now?). And promptly fell asleep. So now it's 4:00 am. I've been up for about a half hour. Wanna hear about my dream? There was this huge old house and I may have been living there, but it felt like I was visiting. There were a bunch of people I know there as well. I didn't feel a particularly strong connection to any of them. The house was completely white, but not sleek, contemporary white. More like everything is crappy old so let's whitewash it and hope nobody notices white. It looked kinda cool on the surface, but it was rotting underneath. There were rooms where the floors were all bowed and would give a little under your feet. The wiring was all buzzily haphazard. Oh, and there was this thing where you could slowly, almost imperceptibly, become trapped there and the white would start to fall away and behind it would be this really crappy mall filled with vacant-eyed people grasping at you. Yeah. My dreams? Not so much with the enigma.

Speaking of SFU, here's a lil' exchange between Nathaniel and Nate from that last season. The one I'm finally watching?

Nate: Dad, you have forty more years.
Nathaniel: Yeah, but the next forty fly by much faster. It'll be over before you know it.
Nate: Time flies when you're having fun, huh?
Nathaniel: No. No, time flies when you're pretending to have fun. Time flies when you're pretending to love Brenda and that baby she wants so much. Time flies when you're pretending to know what people mean when they say love. Let's face it, buddy boy, there's two kinds of people in the world. There's you and there's everybody else, and never the twain shall meet.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Time flies when you're pretending to know what people mean when they say love". Ooh thats pretty full on...

Your dream OMG there is so much to read into there!! mhmm

Jen said...

I was wondering about you yesterday afternoon, and whether you were taking a beating. Er, from the storms, I mean. The TV weather dude said there was a tornado.

Freaky dream, hon. That would totally give me the sweats.

Michael Guy said...

Sorta parallels that 'life is what happens while one is busy making plans' sentiment that crops up in my head every so often. Hey, is that a 'Rhiannon' lyric for the title? I dig Fleetwood.

That dream of yours is ripe for interpretation. Beats me what it all means, though. I was up at 1:00am sneaking a JELL-O cup sans whipped cream.

Anonymous said...

Well as dismal as it may seem the dream could also be good in that you are looking towards change, perhaps attention to your outer appearance. There are things you wish to change and are now ready to change - like a renovation of sorts. Were there any stairs you had to climb in the house?

Michael said...

q-60's, were you a SFU fan? I watched all the seasons on DVD, and I'm working through the last one. Season 4 ended with Nathaniel imparting the best worldly (otherworldly?) wisdom to David and now we start off this season with some good stuff for Nate. I know the dream seems FRAUGHT but it wasn't a nightmare. In the cold light of day, it does seem rather LADEN with some obvious imagery, no?

Jen, it wasn't nearly as bad here as just a bit north of here. We did have the inconvenient power outage and I did have to search hither and yon for my trash cans, but otherwise, not too bad.

Michael, yeah, that sentiment struck me as well. Also the whole "we don't ever REALLY know someone else" thing. God I am savoring these last few SFU episodes. Sopping them up with a biscuit. Did you partake? If not, I MUST share the DVDs with you.

Michael Guy said...

Yes, I partook of the SFU last season. And I will say this: get ready, my friend. You can text me/call me when it hits you. I'll say no more.

But..WTF is the the nasal douche scenario? Should I do this before engaging in noctural nostril expeditions? Also: 'olive-skinned'? I sooo will jump in the MYSTIC TAN booth b/4 greeting you in flip-flops. And not much else.

Michael Guy said...

DAMNIT!! I'm on the 'short bus' today...my above 'comment' really relates to your post above this one! Sorry. I was praticing un-safe commenting in the heat of the moment.

Michael said...

I started the nasal douching in Jan-Feb and it's been like manna from heaven. Clear breathing. No sinus headache ever. Feeling fresh, fresh in yet another orifice.

And darling, your bare-footed tan is just right.

Anonymous said...

Your SFU "excerpt" sounds interesting and i could become a fan (but i have no idea what it stands for lol - do we get this SFU show?? i am sure i could find DVD's).

The Other Andrew said...

Six Feet Under = SFU. I heart the show, although I started to miss it more and more frequently as the seasons went on. I struggle with long term committment sometimes. Sometimes. Weirdly (or maybe not) even though Herr Krauser ist ein snack, it was always Michael C Hall that I found the sexier. Oh, and of course the Big Black Sex Cop.

Michael said...

Yep, Q, like Andrew said. I'm sure it's available on DVD there. MARVELOUS series, chock full o' goodness like the snippet I shared. You laugh, you cry, you dream of a big black sex cop of your very own.

Andrew, Krause is phenomenal in this (nobody else gets to me as much when they cry....he does RACKED with grief like a champ), but I'm totally with you on MCH being more juicy, though based on looks alone, you'd never guess that. Keith trumps all, though. Hmmm, I like the sound of that.

Anonymous said...

Okay TOA & Michael i'll have a look on DVD its not on here anymore. Ta.