Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Never trust a big butt and smile

I'm working in my roses this afternoon and though I've never been afflicted before, I think I may be a victim of the ivy, poison variety. I'm not sure yet, but I've got a blotchy area on my leg that has a burning sensation to it. Go ahead and run with that sentence, if you must. I do have sensitive skin (it's a trait often coupled with light hair and blue eyes), so it may just be from kneeling in the flower bed. Still, until I'm sure, there will be no touching the schmeckel without surgical gloving first. I sometimes go a whole weekend doing that anyway, so as precautions go, no biggie.

5 comments:

Moominmama said...

yeah, dude, that's poison ivy. go to the nearest meijer's and by a bottle of "Tecnu." Wash the affected area with tecnu and COLD water every day. Apply loads of Maximum strength cortizone. bandage it.

now here's the important bit: if you find yourself coming up in rashes in new places after several days of no contact, it may have gone systemic, ie, it's in your blood. hightail it to the doctor and get yourself some prednisone.

(can you tell i've done the poison ivy thang? Or PI, as we old geezers call it.)

Michael said...

CB, that's not my photo, but the stuff looked just like it. I did wash with soapy water and now I'm thinking it was just a skin reaction from kneeling in the mulch because it's much less red. Thanks for the advice, though. Sounds like you had it BAD. My older sister used to get it every summer. COVERED her. She'd lie there bathed in calamine lotion and just moan and cry. Finally she started getting the shots. She'd cry over those, too. She'd cry every time she went to the dentist. Against all odds, she was a trooper during childbirth. I lost that bet.
Oh, and yeah, "old geezer". Right. I've read your blog, remember?

freakgirl said...

Greatest post title ever.

The geekboy was very allergic when he was small. His mom was telling me the other day that they once had a bonfire in the yard, burning up some leftover branches and leaves, and there must have been some poison ivy in there. He had a massive allergic reaction from inhaling the smoke. Ack.

Last year, or the year before, I got it bad. It was everywhere. Uggggh.

Michael said...

Freakgirl, I figured you'd be open to a lil' BBD. That Geekboy story is horrifying. Had to be scary stuff for the Geek-in-laws. And when you say you got it everywhere, are we talking tinkus, too?

freakgirl said...

No, thank god.