Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Love how she shimmers, the way she shines

Normally I am very open to you expressing your opinions about my likes and dislikes. I welcome it. Well, today is a little different. I still welcome your feedback, but....ummmmm.....tread lightly, bitches. This is my queen. The apple (PIE) of my eye. She's Steffi Graf and she is a goddess walking amongst us. Don't get me wrong, I realize she's not the most gorgeous thing to trod the earth, or even a tennis court for that matter, but she is and always was full of class, dignity, grit, tenacity, spirit, and joy. And just try to tell me you wouldn't kill for those legs. She has tennis accomplishments that are unparallelled.She won 22 Grand Slam singles titles, which is just insane. 22. Six French, four Australian, seven Wimbledon and five US championships. Not only that, but she won the Grand Slam, which is winning all four major tournaments in the same calendar year. Only one other woman in the history of the sport has done that. She gilded that Grand Slam by winning the Olympics that same year so they had to make up a name for it: the Golden Slam. She retired while she was still near the top of her game, and unlike so many sports stars, she stayed retired. She receded from a public life, married fellow tennis legend, Andre Agassi, and she seems to be involved in some commendable charitable work. Oh, and she's a mommy of two. LOVE. HER. I think the cuteness in her lap makes this week's serving PIE ala mode.

4 comments:

Michael said...

Thanks, Jeff. Like you, I was a while in warming to Steffi. But when she started to kick the snot out of Martina, I fell for her. I wanted that era to end for Chrissie's sake. It all comes back to Chris Evert then, huh? ;-)

Those were the most exciting days tennis has seen....Chris and Martina battling at every major. I was riveted. Borg and McEnroe and Connors and Lendl. God, that was some good stuff.

I peeked into your blog a little. Looks like you have some interesting tales to tell. I look forward to going back. Thanks for getting comment-y here.

Michael said...

PS Don't know if you'll be back, but did you ever see Chris play? I only saw her live once. She was playing Martina indoors in Chicago.

I was never a serious player (maybe 4.0) like you, but I do love the game. I go to the Masters series event in Cincy every year for a few days. My brother-in-law was a good junior player in Florida, even playing (and getting thrashed) by Courier and a few notable others.

Anonymous said...

I never really contemplated our sporting heros as pie. I'll have to think about it. Of course the picture with child is putting me off somewhat - but i supoose you are trying to show what an all rounder she is the sexy pose, the playing pose, the maternal pose. Hmmm...

Michael said...

Exactly what I was doing there, Q, but just LOOK at that top photo! The legs, the rack...she's hot. But like I said last week, my PIE selections are not gonna be about the sex as much as they will be about the ADORE. I think I'll add one more body shot, though.