Monday, September 12, 2005

Now here I go again, I see the crystal visions

I have a question for you. Can I get you anything first? A drink? OK, do you think there is any value to analyzing your dreams? I've been checking out a few sites about this lately. Being a science guy, I used to believe that dreams were just a tableau of your brain's activity while it sorted and stored the events of your day and week. You can certainly see evidence of this in your dreams, right? Some event or person that figured prominently in your day shows up in your dreams. It's why I sometimes stare at photos of Ian Somerhalder just before bed. After checking out some of these sites, though, I realized that some of the most common dreams are surprisingly identical among people and even across cultures. It's like we're dipping into some collective unconscious, Jung-stizz.

So when dreams repeat themselves, is there a message? Is it a message from this mythic pool or is it from a part of ourselves? I'll share one of my own that I used to have ALL THE TIME. I would often dream of finding myself naked in public places, usually far from home. I wouldn't know how I got there or why, but of course I'd try to inconspicuously make my way back. No small feat really, because you know, butt naked in broad daylight and well, I am striking. Invariably I'd run into people. Sometimes people I knew, sometimes Dick Gautier. I'd make up crazy shit to try to explain my circumstance. I suck at lying, even in my dream life. Anyway, at some point these dreams stop. Upon reflection now, it's about the time (give or take a year...I didn't write it down) that I decided I no longer cared who knew I was gay. No more naked dreams. Well, I'm still naked in my dreams sometimes, and sometimes in public (usually on or near beloved national monuments, often featuring Lincoln), but I'm never ashamed. So does that mean I learned my lesson? If so, who was teaching?

Also, any ideas on the whole Dick Gautier thing?

8 comments:

The Other Andrew said...

Dick Gaultier? Who is?...

I love that you dream about Dick, priceless.

PS. Good call on Somerhalder, although I'd throw Matthew Fox into the mix for a little light and shade.

Michael said...

Sorry, it's "Gautier". The link should fill in the blanks, but may also instill discomfort.
I can only hope it's not his stint as Hymie the Robot on "Get Smart" that I'm fixated on.

The Other Andrew said...

Oh my, now I know who you mean. Would it hurt your feelings if I called you a 'twisted fuck'? Just a little maybe? It's a term of endearment I swear.

Xtine said...

oh Boy, who is Dick Gautier and why am I strangely riveted by his webpage? scary!

and I for one think it is healthy to think about dreams and their meanings, even if the meaning makes no sense at all!

Will said...

I can never recall my dreams beyond the first few minutes of waking up.

Although I remember dreaming of the tetris song I used to play on my GameBoy whenever I played it before bedtime.

Michael said...

Andrew, "twisted fuck" is a sweet nothing as far as I'm concerned. Say it softly, and it's like a prayer.

xtine, Dick is a busy guy apparently. He'd be a good Dead or Alive entry if anyone knew who he was. He was Hymie the Robot on Get Smart and made an impression on me. I was but a wee boy, but I guess a large man programmed to follow instructions to the T (and often comedy ensued!) held a certain appeal even then.

wingedman, like you said, the dreams they will come and they will go. Thanks for cursing me with the Tetris song today.

I'm still not sure why I'm do such dirty things on Mt. Rushmore.

Next time, can I talk about those dreams where my flexibility defies all logic?

Jen said...

Heh, apparently there are spiral staircases in the architecture of the divine Mr. M's subconscious mind. Loves it.

Michael said...

No shit. I didn't even get into the Jaleel "Urkel" White dream.