Thursday, September 01, 2005

Tell me more, tell me more, who's the king of your satellite castle?

Sometimes when the big things aren't going so well, I'm glad that I can still find pleasure from simple things. A few days ago I mentioned how much I was enjoying bpm, a XM satellite station. It's all dance music, a whole genre which really is a new vista for me. That's new love, but one of my old favorites on XM is Lucy and she is at XM 54. Lucy plays the classics of what I guess is called "alternative" music, though that adjective has been rendered generic and non-descriptive hasn't it? (Language sidenote: can we resolve to think twice before using "eclectic" again?) Lucy spins the giants of this genre, the defining songs is what it says on the website. When you see your old 80's and 90's favorites in concert, these are the encores, I'd guess. I had Lucy dialed in (and she loves it when I do her that way, the sexy bitch) while waiting at the bank drive-thru this morning, and this is what she did for me: Ana Ng from They Might Be Giants followed by Here Comes Your Man from the Pixies, and then Peter Gabriel's Shock the Monkey. Thanks, Lucy, I love you, too, baby. You know just what I need.

While we're on the topic of simple pleasures, how much do we love those foaming soap dispensers? Genius! It's still soap, sure, but in a more evolved mousse-like iteration. I especially love this one, from Bath and Body Works. Smells like summer.

No comments: