Thursday, August 11, 2005

I don't wanna be anything other than what I been tryin' to be lately

I am loathe to make this ALL GAY, ALL THE TIME, freakgirl already has that base covered ;-) , but apparently resistance is futile. Especially when the permed bitches in sequined track suits are all up in my face. Now they are up in arms over Starbucks having the unmitigated gall to use a quote from Armistead Maupin, author and faggot, on their "The Way I See It" cups. The venti cups, I think (hey Andrew!). My boy Armistead (what a cool name, huh?)is not saying it's the way YOU should see it. He's expressing his opinion with this:

"My only regret about being gay is that I repressed it so long. I surrendered my youth to the people I feared when I could have been out there loving someone. Don't make that mistake yourself. Life's too damn short."

The Concerned Women for America, in large part made of the very people he feared I suspect, think he should shutup and pretend. After all, it's what most of them do if you rephrase it as "lay there, shutup and pretend", so they think it should be good enough for him. Get a job, get a hobby, get a real outlook where you don't rely on a few lines from a Bronze Age text written to scare people into submission. And step off, bitch.
While on the Maupin tip, if you've never checked his stuff out, you should. He's famous for Tales of the City, I believe, but I also really enjoyed Maybe The Moon.

Finally, I'll end with another Maupin quote I like. Evil, evil man.

The chief ritual of growing up has to do with finally reinventing yourself in your own image, becoming the person you are, as opposed to the person you're supposed to be.

via towleroad

6 comments:

freakgirl said...

Things like this make me insane.

Of course it also poses a problem. I thought we were supposed to boycott Starbucks because they are THE CORPORATE MAN. But now they're supporting the Good Side, so does that mean we can suspend the boycott?

Oy, it is so hard to be PC nowadays. :)

Michael said...

Of course we should support local business instead of these giant corporations that threaten to completely homogenize us but then my local coffee shop guy is such a schmuck, so then...oh hell. I don't mind the Starbucks. Most likely the same way the meth addict doesn't mind the toothlessness.
As for "Tales of the City", Maggie, I liked them OK. I think at the time I read them a mainstream novel being so gay seemed progressive? "Maybe The Moon" is really good, but you should know that I'm a sucker for a midget protagonist.

freakgirl said...

Starbucks does use Fair Trade coffee, so I sort of can't resist them. Also because there is no local shop around here unless you count the deli. Which I do not.

Michael said...

Then by all means! It's definitely worth the time. You'll enjoy the love of the cobbled together family and also it may come in handy with your gay school studies.

The Other Andrew said...

I loved Tales of the City series and Maybe the Moon. Tales was originally a newspaper strip in the 70's and 80's, so all the chapters are written like little episodes, and are only a couple of pages. Maupin wrote in whatever was topical at the time. The book is a collation of the main storylines that made for a cohesive story. They're a great snapshot of the time.

Michael, we of the 'borderline-midget protagonist' stature salute you! Kisses, big guy.

Michael said...

Back atcha, Frodo.