Sunday, August 07, 2005

So if you're walking down the street sometime, and spot some hollow, ancient eyes

Hello In There by John Prine is one of my favorite songs. The title above is a line from it and I used another line in a post a while back when I was crying about being bored and needing a life change. This song is simple but to me it aches with beauty. I have a crude recording of it sung live by Natalie Merchant and Michael Stipe, haunting voices both, that is magic. I'd offer it up to y'all if I wasn't such a dumbass about the mechanics of such things.
John's voice is not for everyone, but I enjoy his songs, a curious blend of humor and pathos. He has a new CD out called Fair and Square. A local paper mentioned some lyrics from the song Some Humans Ain't Human and they typify his wry, simple style.
Have you ever noticed / When you're feeling really good / There's always a pigeon / That'll shit on your hood? / Or you're feeling your freedom /And the world's off your back / Some cowboy from Texas /Starts his own war in Iraq.

No comments: