Thursday, August 25, 2005

If God had a face, what would it look like?

I know one thing for sure, if there is a God, he/she doesn't look like this nasty fuck. Are you aware of the Fred Phelps? I should say, are you aware of the abhorrent batshit crazy Fred Phelps? He's a preacher. He's charged with guiding the morality of his flock. He has a lovely website for his Christian congregation. Forgive me if I'm wrong, it was the late 70's the last time I was in Sunday school, but wasn't the main gist of Jesus' gig that you love your enemy and judge not and whatnot? Even if you don't cotton to man on man action (though I doubt you mind much if you're reading this blog), do you really care what I do? Why do you think Fred cares so much? I suspect it's because either he's a money whore, and this putrid bile he spews brings in the Benjamins OR he's a preacher-from-Poltergeist lookin', call-me-Mary-on-the weekends, self-loathing closet case. Most likely both. Just so you know that he's not just calmly and justifiably on the other side of this issue from me, check out this article where he feels pious enough to condemn the entire country of Sweden, saying it is "a land of sodomy, bestiality, and incest" and adding that their beloved King "looks like an anal-copulator, and his grinning kids look slutty and gay." Should I really give this much thought or time to such a virulent sack of hate? Probably not. Don't you think, though, that if God was one of us, just a stranger on the bus, he'd go all Bernhard Goetz of Fred's ass?

Added: Fred and his wacky troupe have now decided to head on over to Sweden, and Phelps promises the Swedes he will "hunt down your king. It doesn't matter where he tries to hide." Check it out.

via towleroad

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

WTF?
How ironic that he is counting the days that Matthew Shepard has been in hell since it looks like Phelps will be joining him soon.

Michael said...

I don't believe in heaven or hell. Kind of wish they did exist. I'm quite certain Phelps and Matthew Shepard wouldn't be meeting up in the afterlife.

Anonymous said...

Don't get me wrong, I agree with what you are saying. Actually, I should probably rephrase my previous comment. Phelps believes that Shepard is in hell because he was gay, but I believe that hell is a more appropriate place for hateful people. Does that make sense?

Michael said...

I understood, Sara. This guy is as close as a person can get to evil. Somehow he was distorted along the way. We should probably pity him instead of returning the hate. It's just crazy that he can take what Jesus said, which was some pretty cool stuff no matter what you believe he was, and turn it into this sickness. I don't really believe in religion, but most of these religions, at their core, have some reasonably good answers about how to live. People distort that shit for their own devices, though.

Jen said...

Don't you think, though, that if God was one of us, just a stranger on the bus, he'd go all Bernhard Goetz of Fred's ass?

This is the most brilliant sentence I've read all day. (Granted I've only been awake for 15 minutes and I still lack my morning dose of coffee, but still.)

Michael said...

Even qualified with "barely awake" and "unstimulated" and "I haven't read much else to compare with it yet today", coming from you, I'll take that as a great compliment. Muah!