Sunday, August 14, 2005

Love me, that's all I ask of you

Sometimes a night at the theater can be electric. The production is wonderful, the venue spectacular, and there is a palpable energy in the audience. Woulda been nice.

I saw The Phantom of the Opera for the first time this weekend. This show has been selling out for twenty years. I don't get it. There were a couple of good songs and then lots of flashy effects. Seriously, is this shit where we got the phrase "smoke and mirrors"? I did think the cast was great, from the top down. I especially enjoyed my triple-dubbed brotha, Michael Shawn Lewis, as Raoul, Vicomte de Chagny. Boy, that last bit is fun to say, huh? Vicomte de Chagny. Now, the next time I wanna say something Frenchy, I'll have something else besides Guy de Maupassant. Great voice, good actor and just seems like he'd be playful and energetic in the sack. That's a potent cocktail.

If anyone loved this play and knows how good it is, call me out. Enlighten me. Is it a girl thing? Funny moment near the end as Christine and the Phantom are singing his opera. From my seat in the fourth row, I jerked awake from nodding off, and I swear she saw that shit. My name is Michael and I am a Philistine.

2 comments:

freakgirl said...

I can't think of a show I'd like to see less than Phantom.

freakgirl said...

Awww.